Solving Benefit Problems
1. Read the HB Notes to understand what the problem is
2. Call the Council for verification - update HB Notes
3. Identify a plan of action - update HB Notes
4. Call the Client for evidence or clarification if necessary - Update HB Notes
5. Call the support worker for help if necessary - Update HB Notes
6. Action the plan - Update HB Notes
1 . The Council only has one calendar month to respond to claims or appeals - After that, your client must make a COMPLAINT and you must mark TSO Action until its complete.
2. Clients must get an SOS the same day the HB has been Suspended unless they have provided you will all the evidence that the council has required.
Council Phone Numbers
Bromley Council Supplier Reference 506741
Bromley Council HB Dept. 020 8464 3333
Croydon Council Supplier Reference 8386
Croydon Council HB Dept. 020 8726 6000 Option 4, 2,4
Enfield Council Supplier Reference 10145550
Enfield Council HB Dept. 020 8379 1000 Options 2 , 2
Greenwich Council HB Dept. 0208921 4147
RBKC Council HB Dept. 020 7361 3006
Lambeth Council 10600490
Lambeth Council HB Dept. 020 7926 1000 Options 3, 2, 2
Lambeth HB Full Case Review Link
Lambeth HB Change of Address (COA) Form Link
Lambeth HB Upload Evidence Link
Lambeth HB Appeal Form Link
Save a copy of the Case Review before you submit it and also a copy to this form also
Lewisham Supplier Reference 101160
Lewisham 020 8314 3020
Merton Supplier Reference 1524207
Merton 020 8274 4901 options 2, 1 for an existing claim
Merton HB Appeal Form Link
Southwark 020 7525 0375
Sutton Supplier Account Number 5417
Wandsworth Supplier Reference 687226
Wandsworth 020 8871 6000 press 1 then 2, then 3, then 2, for progress
Wandsworth Change in Circumstances Online Form
When Calling the Council Always start with;
"Hello my name is **** I am calling from Aves Housing I am calling because we have a query about a claim. You have been given the authorisation to share information with us on the Licence agreement and also on the original HB claim that was made. The claim number is **** Claimant name is ****, I can wait while you verify this...."
To help them you can tell them where on the licence the authorisation is.
On the licence agreement, the authorisation can be found in part 4. at the top of the agreement. It says;
"I give full authorisation my Local Council to share any and ALL information regarding my HB claim Appeals or Tribunals with representatives of Aves Housing and that for client HB purposes I confirm that I will keep the DWP and the council fully informed about any change of circumstance that could affect my benefits and that I currently reside at the (Hostel). I confirm that this is my main and only residence."
For Claims under Review:
"..I understand the claim is under review is there anything that you need outstanding to complete your review process."
For Claims Not Processed:
"...The claim has not been processed. Do you have all the information you need for this claim to be processed?
For Claims Cancelled or Suspended
"...The claim has been suspended/cancelled. What information would you need to assess this claim back in payment?
For Claims not paid because DWP informed Council that client has moved out.
If client confirms moved out - move to past and fill the room immediately
If client confirms they have not moved out - You need to provide the UC Payment breakdown for the periods and also obtain a signed letter from client stating that they never left the property and still reside their from the date of the licence until today
Universal Credit Queries
For those clients receiving Housing Benefit from the council:
If your client updates UC and tells them the rent and Changes if from NO HOUSING COSTS them they will get paid directly. You MUST make a note in the Journal to say the client is in supported accommodation with support and supervision so is exempt from UC Housing costs. Council will pay the Housing Benefit under old rules
If your client is in Bromley or Lewisham and receives UC Housing costs
Lewisham and Bromley have restricted the rent. In order for the service to be value for money, we will provide to clients in Bromley and Lewisham "Supported accommodation without care, support or supervision through the housing". We never provide Care Support or Supervision to any clients paid through Housing Benefit, only limited to Tenancy Sustainment. Other Support is funded outside the HB funding Scheme
1. Clients that are not affected by the Benefit Cap are offered Accommodation.
2. Clients apply for UC housing costs to help with housing because the following applies:
- they live in supported or sheltered accommodation
- they are not getting care support or supervision through their housing cost.
3. Clients cannot apply for UC housing costs when they are living in supported accommodation with care support or supervision provided or they are living in temporary accommodation such as a B&B arranged by the council or they are living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse.