Exclusive ChoreoMagic Challenge - You’re the Imagineers!
This isn’t an ordinary choreography challenge! With ChoreoMagic it's time to set yourself free, embark on a magical journey of Disney creativity, storytelling and choreography!
The challenge is open to everyone, dancers don’t need to be registered SOBHD to take part in our ChoreoMagic Challenge, it is open to all Scottish dancers and has its own set of rules and judging criteria.
The premise is simple… take any Disney theme, be it a story, movie, song or show, new or old… take your Scottish Highland Dance and make it your own! With ChoreoMagic, YOU are the imagineers, it’s your chance to show the audience how creative you can be! As you stand ready to perform, imagine you’re in the west end or Broadway, take your story and choreography to the next level with costumes and props and lose yourself in the magic of Disney, make the audience BELIEVE!
Of course, we want you to incorporate your Scottish Highland Dance skills, but in ChoreoMagic this isn’t the main focus, it’s time to wow the audience with your story telling skills. Focus on how you combine your Scottish Highland Dance skills with the story, not the technical aspects of the steps themselves. It gives you the opportunity to incorporate other styles of dance to help you in your storytelling. Focus on the music you are dancing to and how your choreography flows to its narrative, rather than just performing Scottish Highland Dance steps to a Disney song. Focus on how you use your costumes to portray the Disney characters to help illustrate your storytelling to the audience. Most importantly focus on storytelling, at the heart of every Disney film, song or show is the magic of a story… this is your chance to become the storyteller!
Disney Themed - Solo, Duo and Group Categories
Take any Disney theme and show us your choreography skills in our magical Disney Themed challenge.
• Disney Themed Solo and Duo Categories - Get your Choreo on to your favourite Disney music and themes with amazing Solo and Duo challenges for ages 9 years and under, 10 years to 13 years, plus 14 years and over.
• Disney Themed Group Categories - It's time to shine together with a Disney twist! Special group challenges for ages 13 and under, plus 14 years and over
• All Age Disney Themed School Group category - ChoreoMagic will include an ‘All Age School Group’ category, allowing all your dancers, whatever their age or abilities, the unique opportunity to dance all together as a group.
New for 2019 – Disney Christmas Themed Categories - Solo, Duo and Group
Embracing the amazing Christmas festivities this time of year and reflecting on the sights and sounds you will experience across the Disney parks; we are proud to announce our Disney Christmas Theme will now run across Solo, Duo and Group categories!
Take inspiration from your favourite Disney Christmas film, show or song and bring it to life or perform a medley featuring as many as you wish!
• Disney Christmas Themed Categories: Solo and Duo - Get your Choreo on to your favourite Disney Christmas film, show or song with amazing Solo and Duo challenges for ages 9 years and under, 10 years to 13 years, plus 14 years and over.
• Disney Christmas Themed Categories: Groups – It’s time to shine together to your favourite Disney Christmas film, show or song with amazing group challenges for ages 13 and under, plus 14 years and over
• Disney Christmas Themed Category: All Age Disney School Group – Choose your favourite Disney film, show or song and shine together in the ‘All Age School Group’ category, allowing all of your dancers, whatever their age or abilities, the unique opportunity to dance all together as a group.
Awards will be given to celebrate every aspect of the ChoreoMagic performance
Overall Category Champion
Awarded to the routine in the judge’s opinion, that best combines all the elements below. Judges will be looking for the routine that embraces all of the ideas and principals of ChoreoMagic.
Best Costume Characterization
Awarded to the routine in the judge’s opinion, that best portrays the Costume Characterization. Judges will be looking for the routine that best incorporates and portrays the Disney costuming and character/s with their choreography and performance.
Best Musical Interpretation
Awarded to the routine in the judge’s opinion, that best portrays the Musical Interpretation. Judges will be looking for the routine that best links the Disney music with their choreography and performance.
Best Storytelling through Choreography
Awarded to the routine in the judge’s opinion, that best portrays the Storytelling through Choreography. Judges will be looking for the routine that best tells the Disney story through their choreography and performance.
In addition, within each category, judges will have the ability to award one special award for a reason of their choosing. This will reflect an element of a performance that has stood out to the judges.
Entry to the ChoreoMagic Challenge is available only to participants attending and taking part in the International Gathering of Scottish Highland Dance who have purchased an official event package from Take Us 2 The Magic Ltd. There are no 'entry only' fees available for purchase.
• Closing date - 1st August 2019 - Please however send in your entries as soon as possible so scheduling can take place for us to maximise your park time wherever possible.
Please use a seperate form for each entry