WHAT DOES ECSWT DO?
Extracorporeal shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment in which a device is used to pass acoustic shockwaves through the skin to the affected area, it can be utilised in the treatment of tendon and bone pathology.
The shockwaves stimulate the body’s own healing mechanisms to facilitate the repair of the damaged tendon and bone. A normal course of treatment will consist of three sessions with no more than a two-week gap between sessions. More sessions could be considered for chronic conditions.
Following ECSWT maintain ‘normal’ levels of activity. Do not do anything you normally would not do. Avoid sport, any other aggravating activities, or any activities, which stress the affected/treated area, particularly for the next 48 hours. Do not use ice on the treated area or take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines (NSAIDS) e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen, as these may reduce the therapeutic effect of ECSWT.
WHAT ARE THE SIDE EFFECTS?
The practitioner providing the treatment will have checked your medical history to ensure that you are at minimal risk of any side effects.
- Redness or bruising in the treated area.
- Skin damage
- An increase in pain in the treated area, this
can be controlled with paracetamol, please do
not take NSAIDs e.g. ibuprofen, naproxen.
Exclusion Criteria / Contraindications:
- Steroid injection in the past 6 weeks
- Tendency to haemorrhage/bleed
- Haemophiliac patients
- Patients taking anti-coagulant therapy such as warfarin or Apixiban (this may depend on exactly what you are taking – please contact us prior to booking)
- Acute inflammation of the treatment area
- Tumour at the treatment site
- Infection of the treatment area
- Severe circulatory disorder
- Nerve disorder at treatment site
- Open wound at the treatment site
PLEASE NOTE: At Complete Physio, we do not use shockwave therapy for:
- Low back pain
- Neck pain
We advise that anti-inflammatory medications, such as Ibuprofen and Naproxen, are stopped 48 hours before you commence shockwave treatment and are not used during the entire shockwave treatment period.
Pre-cautions: - Cardiac problems - Circulatory problems
If you would like to discuss any of this information before booking, then please do not hesitate to email us at email@example.com and one of our senior therapists will contact you.